SARW’s mission is to ensure that natural resources extraction contributes to sustainable development, a development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their needs. SARW related objectives are as follow
- To monitor corporate and state conduct in the extraction and beneficiation of natural resources in Southern Africa region, in particular assessing to what extent these efforts contribute to sustainable development”
- To consolidate research and advocacy on natural resources extraction issues in Southern Africa
- To put a spotlight on the specific dynamics of natural resources in Southern Africa region, building a distinctive understanding of the regional geo-political dynamics of resource economics.
- To provide-for researchers, policy makers and social justice activists especially in academic and civic spaces- a platform of action, coordination and organization, in the watching and strengthening of corporate and state accountability in natural resources extraction.
- To highlight the relationship between resource extraction activities and human rights as they obtain on the ground, and develop advocacy efforts that engage this reality